With winter fast approaching, it’s important to make sure your home is protected & ready for Michigan's cold temperatures & potentially destructive weather. To help, we’ve gathered up these simple tips to keep your home warm & Old Man Winter’s icy fingers off of your money.
1. FURNACE FILTERS A dirty or clogged filter restricts airflow, increasing energy needs. By replacing your filter, you can improve air quality while simultaneously increasing the efficiency & longevity of your system.
2. Reverse CEILING FANS Running your fans in a clockwise rotation moves warm air pooled near the ceiling, circulating it back into the room. This
3. SMART THERMOSTATS Smart thermostats like the Nest provide valuable reporting on your energy usage & offers options like adaptive learning to create a highly-efficient schedule.
4. PUT UP PLASTIC For just a few bucks, you can pick up a window insulation kit. The plastic film acts as a second defense against drafts & creates insulation from the outdoors.
5. GUTTER Cleaning Build up of leaves & other debris in your gutters can lead to restricted flow of water, causing ice dams — thick ridges of ice that build up along your eaves. Ice dams can be very destructive, bending & yanking on your gutters, loosening shingles, & causing water to backup into the walls or attic of your home.